Preparing our home against disaster is an important step in creating and implementing a family preparedness plan. We have listed some basic steps below. A more complete list can be found at the FEMA website, ready.gov.
Before an Earthquake
The following are things you can do to protect yourself, your family and your property in the event of an earthquake.
- Fasten shelves securely to walls.
- Place large or heavy objects on lower shelves.
- Store breakable items such as bottled foods, glass, and china in low, closed cabinets with latches.
- Fasten heavy items such as pictures and mirrors securely to walls and away from beds, couches and anywhere people sit.
- Secure water heater to surrounding walls.
Before a Wildfire
Special consideration for preparing your home should be taken for those who are most threatened by wildfires. We have provided a link below to information helping home owners prepare their home in the event of a wildfire.
1. Watch the video below
2. Go through the above list and identify those home preparedness steps that most relate to your situation. Plan when you will complete the home preparedness steps that you have identified.
Make a Kit: Family 72 Hour Emergency Kit
As a members of Stake Leadership over Emergency Preparedness we do not claim to be experts or specially trained in the area of Emergency Preparedness. We have attempted to the gather the information most authoritative, but this information it is not intended to be exhaustive. We have provided links and referencing for the information we have gathered in order for each individual to understand more fully the content and actions they should take individually. Each member and family must review the information and make their own decisions regarding preparedness that most accomplishes their personal and family goals. We accept no liability for the content provided, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided . If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.